I think this is just a Scottish thing, correct me if i’m wrong! This is one of those dishes that will always remind me of my childhood. It’s really easy to add whatever veg you have or even sneak in some kale. Great served with dumplings too. Enjoy!
mince & tatties
Write a review
- 500g mince beef
- 2 oxo cubes
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- handful of peas
- 4/5 peeled potatoes for mash (white or sweet potatoes or both!)
- bisto (optional to thicken)
- Cut up all of the veg to suit, the older Abel has changed how I serve him veg, see notes.
- Fry onions in a pot til soft in a little butter or oil.
- Add the mince and brown.
- Meanwhile put your potatoes on to boil.
- Dissolve oxo cubes into 1/2 to 3/4 pint of hot water and add to the mince.
- Add the veg or put it on to steam.
- Leave to thicken, if it doesn't then try adding a little bisto.
- When potatoes are cooked, drain and mash (adding some milk/bitter can help make them creamy).
- You could make the mince and veg separate so you can keep the veg as fingers for younger babies.
IT'S THE MOTHER http://itsthemother.com/