Our favourite baby food makers turned one yesterday! To celebrate we made them a cake with the kids and it was rather good if we do say so ourselves. We decided to go for a fruity one from one of our mum’s recipe books, it’s usually a loaf but it can easily be put into a cake tin like we did for the cake, you can check out the original recipe from BBC if you want too for more on the loafyness.
So yeah, My Little Piccolo have been with us for a whole year now!
Why do we love them? Maybe it’s the Italian in us (our dad’s side) but we love what they are all about. All their purées are inspired my homemade recipes and the Mediterranean diet. They are so passionate about using herbs and spices in food from a young age and this is something we have both done when weaning and cooking in general.
So happy baking this Easter if you do give our recipe or one of the others a go! Enjoy the pictures of us baking too, we will point out this was 2 Saturdays ago so only 3 days after Megan had Freida… she’s a dedicated baker. Seriously though it was loads of fun and Abel especially loved it (the icing sugar in particular), it was good for him to get some time away from the baby bubble lol. Enjoy!
Megan + Lucy x
- 250g self-raising flour
- 175g butter
- 175g light muscavado sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 1 small apple, grated
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 Piccolo Blueberry & Banana Pouch
- 200g blueberries
- Preheat oven to 180 or about 160 if a fan oven.
- Butter the loaf tin.
- Rub the flour, butter and muscavado sugar together to make fine crumbs. Mix into the cinnamon and demerara sugar and set aside.
- Mix the apple in with the eggs and the zest. Stir the baking powder into the earlier rubbed-in mixture then quickly and lightly stir in the egg mixture.
- Fold in the berries and some of a banana, blueberry & apple pouch. Spoon into the tin and level.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Test with a knife/skewer. After 50 minutes, cover loosly with foil. Leave to cool before removing from tin.
- Make butter icing and spread on top and decorate!
- For butter icing mix 50g butter and 100g icing sugar with some of a My Little Piccolo banana, blueberry & apple pouch or try a drizzle of runny icing with some of the pouch in too!